Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Pollination on Ivory Silo Farm

Angelica
Honey Bee on Buckwheat
Milkweed for Monarchs
On the buckwheat and Angelica I saw wasps, honey bees, bumble bees, flies, and more, but I have only seen one Monarch on the farm this year. Ed has left patches of milkweed while haying and harrowing for them, so I hope to see some more now that the flowers are opening.
I always wonder why some flowers like dandelion and milkweed are deemed weeds. Hardy, beautiful, health promoting, and essential (environmentally,) these plants called weeds have a reputation of being unwanted. Are weeds wild and flowers cultivated? I guess I have always identified with weeds, feeling unwanted and having my own way of doing things. I have even felt most people thought me uncivilized. And yet we now come back to wishing there was more milkweed for the Monarch Butterfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment