Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

Grapes continued...

Concord grape liqueur...and spiced grape liqueur.
and then we froze the rest of the washed grapes for Ed to make jam with at a later date. I had to go North to work so I brought the unwashed grapes for a fermenting project.
When I arrived I started crushing the grapes, seeds, stems and all.
I kept crushing
and pouring and mixing until...
I filled the container and all the grapes-except those I discarded because they were starting to rot, were gone! Believe it or not I had used all the grapes. Now I just had to stir and wait. Stay tuned in 6 weeks or so to see if this is drinkable or if I need a still to take it further into brandy and then to see if that's drinkable or not. 

You see I dont know what I am doing. It seems the reason Concord Grape wine is sweet is not because it comes out of the ferment that way. It comes out of the ferment bitter and then sweetener is added to get rid of the bitter. But I am willing to experiment, since concord grapes are what we have and I refuse to try to grow a crop that I need to spray fungicides all over just to make the same wine (or worse than) that comes from California.

Next week, I hope, pears.

No comments:

Post a Comment