Pages

Monday, June 2, 2014

Daily Harvest 6/2/14 Red Clover

Red Clover contains coumarin which is a blood thinner. For this reason I have not harvested red clover for several years. However, at the farm we plant it as a cover crop for nitrogen fixing. "Green Manure." I have seen how much it resembles manure as it rots.
It also contains isoflavones that are phytoestrogens-plant based estrogens-that science cant agree on whether these are good for conditions that involve "too much" estrogen in the body or contribute to them.
These little petals are very sweet and I used to eat them as a child in the pastures of Vermont where it is the state flower. And now I just want to know if its safe to enjoy a cup of tea made with the dried flowers. So this is where I wish there was more experimentation besides breaking things down into their chemical compounds. How does the whole plant eaten or taken as tea effect individuals with various conditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment